Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
How do you write? Options
JmlB
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:33:37 PM

Simple question: How do writers like yourselves get your heads down and something on paper? I can never find time nor quiet, and starting to write I find is the toughest challenge all together!

So how do you guys do it, if there's a secret I want in ;)

Josie
SUKIE
#2 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 6:26:15 PM

When I grab my pen, I'm ready to go. I carry my composition book(its cover is water proof!) and pens in my purse which probably weighs 5 pounds or more...I have to jot down right away if something comes to my mind...I know it's crazy but I'm sure many writers are that way. I don't know if you wanna do that though. SUKIE
JmlB
#3 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 7:05:09 PM

I actually do that quite abit and then you get people poking over your shoulder "what ya writing" ;) But thanks thats really helpful, always good to jot something down before you lose it, which is what I have done, but I find it hard when you have a vivid idea of your story and then finding out where to start, how to begin writing the first draft until getting to that final piece? Its really hard ! :)
thedurganflurgan
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:54:23 PM

I am 13 years old, and have been writing since I was 4. Before writing, I ask my self questions...What is the story about? Who are the characters? What genre would I like to write? What is the setting?

Things like that can determine a great amount of the exposition!

-Miles
JmlB
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:19:54 AM

Wow since 4, cool. Thats an exellent way to start. Its always goood to have a plan ;)
I guess I just dont know where the story starts .. the imagination is endless ..and you may quote me ;)

Josie
jester71
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:35:35 PM

I also ask myself questions. The most important question for me to answer is what is my point. Then, have I made myself clear?
JmlB
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:56:17 AM

I like having a purpose to a story or a moral. Its a key element I totally agree with you.
BradP13
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:43:44 PM

The trick, to me, is setting aside time everyday. I usually write for two hours, at the same time, everday. Sometimes longer, but never less. I also carry a notepad with me to jot my thoughts, the little thoughts that creep in during the day. Sometimes i sit staring at my notebook or computer during those two hours, the words unable to come out. But i NEVER move. If i have trouble (which often happens) working on a particular project, i do some free writing. I just start writing or typing, not caring about what is written, or whether it makes sense, not stopping to read the sometimes gibberish that appears on the screen or paper before me. I find that after doing that, i can focus. Hopefully that can help you... Good Luck.. -Brad
BradP13
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:47:36 PM

Also, Outlining is important to me. Some people disagree. To that I say, whatever works for you. I find the best method of outlining is to ask questions rather than write statements.. ex. instead of "He sat at the screen, unable to write for the life of him. He sat and sat, the words unable to escape his brain." i would write, "Where is he sitting, how is he feeling, and why is he feeling that way?" i find it allows me to add more detail, more feeling, to my work. Again, good luck. -Brad
JmlB
#10 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 10:41:17 AM

Thanks so much for the help! These tips are really useful, always got a notepad with me now ;) Josie
hitchensian
#11 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2012 6:05:04 PM

I am lazy at writing, but sometimes I might be awake late at night and thinking, and then with all the emotions and thoughts, I feel compelled to write, and do write. But if it is a school assignment I wait till quite late(lol I have to stop that!), and then I think deeply about the topic and the words flow. But nothing beats that perfect claity you get once in a while which makes you write exactly what you feel.
JmlB
#12 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 11:18:41 AM

Yeah i totally agree, when you pen just flows and you can write. That happens to me too, i usually just wake up and write down some notes, sometimes not easy to read the next day, but you have to do it when you are in that "flow". Thanks for the comment. Josie :)
Thomas_UK
#13 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 6:34:20 PM

For me I need a defined goal or project. If I know I've got to write something by a certain time then I will eventually write it! I never seem to know quite what will come out, but as soon as the pressure is on, I'm off on a new adventure of discovery. Unfortunately I'm not someone who will happily write regardless, I seem to need some kind of outside expectation to kickstart me.

If you're the same then it can be helpful to sign up to a few writing competitions. Once you've paid a small fee to enter then that tends to get things going...for me at least :)

Oh and also joining some form of writing group, class or community where tasks are set. Being able to discuss things seems to really get your head in the game.
zaccats
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:11:28 PM

There really are no secrets. I some times down load a picture to the top of the page and begin writing, of course I get rid of the picture when I am finished. Most times it is nonsense but often some thing comes of it. and hey a story begins.
Other times I just sit down and write most once again is rubbish but then if you look there is story developing from just the words alone, or the feeling of the words/story.
The other trick is to do all that you have to do before you begin writing. I.E. do your house work go for a walk do some exersices . Finish your home work or take an hour off when you finish work then write. At least have clear mind before you write.

JmlB
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:29:46 AM

Thankyou very much. I think to have a clear mind does really help, having no other stress and just creating your own world to escape into. Thanks for the comments guys :)
McBreadle
#16 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 4:29:46 AM

i go through stages of weeks where i don't write because im not in the mood to do it and then weeks where i want to write so much that my brain is working 10x faster than my fingers can type!!! i used to write the old fashioned way with pen and paper but due to developing carpel tunnel syndrome in both of my wrists, i can't write for long periods of time but typing, i find it very therapeutic!!! because of this, i dont carry pen and paper round but a recording device does help!!! i use my MP3 player as it has voice recorder on it!!!

while im writing, i play the scenes out in my head which gets me in the world of my stories!! that way, i am more motivated to carry on because even i want to know what happens next!!! just go with the flow and write what first pops in your head, its usually the first ideas that are the best and you can always go back to 'tweak' it if you need to!!!

luv
sam
x
JmlB
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:14:12 AM

Thanks Sam. I admire your perseverance to write- shows a true mind set of a writer. I agree with you that some times words seem to tumble out before you have time to get them onto paper. Yes, I always have to be in a mood to write otherwise I end up with nothing.

I also do that- I think its my love for film linking in to litterature. Two subjects I want to furthur my education on.

Another few questions: Do you have a starting point or plan- I tend to not follow a plan and then the words come too quickly and I havent spent enough time on paying close attention to detail- not having a plan may be the block... Also developping a sense of style and character to my writing is hard- I try to focus on the main idea and work around it not really working on developping my style as a writer- but how? Last question : how do you capture a moment in words- make it feel as real as you see it so the readers may seen through the eyes of the poet/authour?

THANKYOU ALL SOO MUCH- you have helped me alot and I really think we can also help each other improve. I am loving this topic alot.

Josie.
KateBur
#18 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 3:41:49 AM

In my case, it depends on what exactly I need to write. When it's something short and do not require any scientific or economic data, then I can do it right awayCool . When it's long and requires then It can take hours or days Crying to write and polish it.
warrenzephaniah
#19 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:50:12 AM

i play the scenes out in my mind which gets me in the realm of my stories!! that way, i am more spurred to bear on in light of the fact that even i need to recognize what occurs next!!! simply accept the way things are and compose what initially flies in your mind, its more often than not the principal thoughts that are the best and you can simply backpedal to "change" it on the off chance that you have to. UK Dissertation Help
solands23
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:34:11 PM

Writing your own essay is really frustrating. From choosing the right topic, to elaborating and creating a very strong conclusion to entice the reader. If you feel you cannot complete the said task, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can start by screening the different essay providers online, read useful professional translation service reviews by other clients online.