Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

King VS Meyers, Patterson, Stanley and Koontz Options
Peridot
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:49:04 PM

Ive spent the last few minutes reading over Stephen King's entry page at IMDB and apparently his opinion, on Stephenie Meyers' Twilight, has a rather dogmatic outcry from her legion of undead lovin' teenage girls. I'm a little late finding the original USA Weekend article (February), but it appears that there are still Meyers Fans and King Fans rampaging in the darkened bowels of the internet over whether or not King had a right to say anything or if he's merely spouting sour grapes.

http://blogs.usaweekend....02/exclusive-steph.html

In the original story he doesn't just call out Meyers he also calls on James Patterson, Earle Stanley Garner and Dean Koontz as being bad writers. King does admit that Koontz also writes good material as well as the bad.

I don't want to insult anyone that has found something they enjoy to read, but if Stephen King makes a comment about a contemporary pop author, I think he's earned the right to say it without being called egotistical or big headed. Or some other misspelled delusional insult intended to find its way to the man to make him cry into his pillow at night.

What do you think? Should he have not said anything in regards to other popular authors or does he have the right to post his own critiques of fellow writers? What is your take on the reaction of the Meyer fans?
Jenwales
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:02:32 AM

I don't think Stephen King has had the right to say Meyer can't wirte vampire novels, he's over ever written one and it was terrible
I think he's just jealous that Meyer can write more interesting stories than him
I've read a lot of horror and vampire novels, hate teen books but he's not that good in my opnion
its only my opnion
also just cos he's written a lto of books doesnt mean hes right, everyone has their own opinion and i dont think
he is the definite person on vampire novels
RaymondSpringer
#3 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 5:21:48 PM

Stephen King is probably my favorite writer. But, it’s not because he is the greatest writer; far from it. About half of his writings actually suck, and I think he would admit as much. As for Stephanie Myers; she made it big because of the audience she attracted. That was very smart and we should all learn from her example. King is most likely jealous and downright pissed off that she made so huge, so fast.