Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

sci fi Options
ClydeFisk
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:26:36 AM

arguably, one of the few genres where web surfing can give you almost everything you need to exploit the unknown. google your butt off about science and technologies and see what you come up with.
Bitten2ice
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:37:41 PM

I would question though whether a quick web search is always enough research to found a basis.

Sometimes I think that a web surf may answer a quick question while at other times I have found that the surf could obfuscate the picture. Perhaps just my perception but I'm thinking that to understand the strengths and weaknesses of a given topic one may have to spend a little time with it... although to your point the opinions of many may already be posted on the web... to your point again we are living in the information age.

So while it may appear that I have had a cyclical conversation with myself to end with your initial point.... I still can't help but wonder time one has to invest before a basis can be considered sound.

How much time did Dan Brown invest into researching the Vatican interface with the Illuminati or Templar History?

Or the positioning of those Gian Lorenzo Bernini statues?

I live on the web so I hear your point... its just that sometimes given the topic there may be so much questionable information out there. How does one validate the source if not through research?
Peridot
#3 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 1:24:18 AM

I find the idea of relying only on Google for research as disturbing. Google is not infallible. I can see where you can use it to give you some direction, but to avoid speaking with people in the field, reading journals, hell reading books in favour of a few clicks is unthinkable.

What kind of credibility does it lend to the work if you have to name Google as a co-writer?
Bitten2ice
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:53:03 PM

I hear you Peridot...

I think that web searches are great for validating direction or thought processes... but nothing beats good old fashioned research....
Peridot
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:50:36 PM

Thank ya Ice :) I was worried I scared off folks with my comments. lol

Bitten2ice
#6 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2009 10:48:27 AM

Not at all... I think that forums are the place to voice opinions... The funny thing about opinions are that they don't suit everyone... But that is the case with most things isn't it?

I liked your line and/or the concept of having Google as a co-writer...
Bluez
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:18:25 AM

I admit that I don't spend a lot of time "researching" on the net, and I never use google, but there are times when I need some valid information for something I am writing at that time, and I enter the subject in my tool bar and hit enter and see where it takes me. But even then, I don't stay there long, if there is a large amount of information, I might skim over it for relevant points that I might jot down, but then I either bookmark the page, in case I need more later, or I jump to another page and see if it's at least consistent.
I don't know if this helps anyone or gives anyone any new thoughts or ideas but I found this here and thought I would add my one and a half cent.
Peridot
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:01:55 AM

How do you eventually confirm the validity of the information you've collected? I'm not saying internet search engines are not a helpful quick tool, but websites are notorious for copying mistakes from other sites. Unless you are at a website of a credible source, which unless you take more than a cursory look, you never know if the information is accurate or merely repeated misinformation.
kt6550
#9 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2009 8:37:41 PM

Sometimes Google helps, sometimes it does not. As I write mostly fan fiction set in Frank Herbert's rich environment of "Dune," his books become my research. However, it is always helpful to go to the University of Miami Astronomy site to get a proper start name.
Bitten2ice
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:57:37 PM

I suppose as with anything... validating the source of the data is important... admittedly regardless of the search engine used good data is out there... so for example if you do a quick search and history.com is returned as one of the sources... chances are that you will have a decent web search... however conversely data that is returned from Bob'sdata.com may or may not hold relevant confirmed information.

One of the points being argued here is that books versus the web may hold more confirmed information. I would like to think so... I typically use a websearch to direct my research... but perhaps its because I'm old fashioned and prefer to stick my nose in a book, feel the pages, and smell the value of the information rather than grapple with the thought of harnessing the information gleaned from an internet search.