Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

writers block Options
ClydeFisk
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:21:29 AM

for me it was exercize. walking in particular. lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of walking . it worked everytime i needed to progress the story . i can't think of one time i didn't come back home without and idea of where to go next with it.
hoodiegirl
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 11:09:48 AM

When I get stuck in my writing I read. Nothing is better inspiration and education than reading a good book!
TaintedBlood
#3 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 11:39:26 AM

I've got writer's block right now. I'm thinking a lot about the story, but can decide who's POV I want in the next scene. I'll figure it out.
penmage
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:02:18 PM

I will turn on some music, the Labyrinth sound track or something else, just to give my mind something to relax to. The best way I've found to get over it is to go back a chapter and read what you've writen up to the point of the block. You'll either see where you went off track or know what to do next in the story. Keeps you from getting that "first word on the page blues."
johnnie
#5 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 12:03:24 PM

Hi. I have perhaps the answer to your problem, it may work for you and if it does, I will be very pleased. I have in fact got a blog if you would like to consult it. http://fionaswritingfolio.blogspot.com. First and foremost do you carry a notebook with you as that helps. Second, do you observe what is going on about you when you are out. Remember what Shakespeare said and who would be a better bard to refer to than him and that famous line from As you Like it, All the World's a stage and all the people are merely players. Get a ringside seat in a car park while your wife does the shopping, if she drags you in, so be it, it is just as good. Always have that notebook available, doesn't have to be huge, a small ring reporters one or one you can tuck into your pocket.

Now something for the shopping list, get yourself a large ringbinder file, believe me, you will fill it as it will become a very useful reference tool for the future for you won't use your ideas in one fell swoop, I am pretty sure. Divide the ringbinder into twelve months of the year then type out your notes or ideas. If your handwriting is anything like mine, it is best to type it oukt as soon as possible so you are not wondering what on earth you have written. Slot it into the month you are in but it does not matter which month when referring to your diary of ideas in the future, you will have a store to look up, in fact you will be spilt for choice.

Collect interesting greetings and post cards, faces, portraits, scenes, whatever. Oh, don't throw away that pet food box, file them in those if they are small enough, just think you will be thinking green for the planet as well. If you label them, use powerpoint on reasonable scrap paper. e.g. one used on the other side but the other being blank.

Well I hope this helps for now. Good luck with the ideas.BigGrin

ToxicPixe
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:34:37 AM

Oh wow, the disease that is writer's block. I'm currently working through it myself. What I usually do is listen to a lot of vinyl. No music can stand up to the sound of a record. I especially listen to The Beatles and John Lennon. Something about the music just inspires me. I also like to lay down on the floor while listening. Being on the floor just feels... Magical, y'know? Wow. It's amazing, and it really helps. Just listen to inspirational music, whatever that is to you, and trying laying on the floor. Amazing.
Morganalafaye
#7 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 6:05:38 PM

I just write. I write and write and write, even if I end up deleting 10 pages when the block is done, for some reason writing crap seems to break it for me eventually.
Buzzy
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:30:33 PM

I've got the same exact problem. It's been quite a few years since I've actually written a storyline or script. I've found that I'm having trouble even getting ideas and notes onto paper. I think exercise and walking really helps with relaxation when your stuck. Right now I'm just doing some freestyle writing hoping to get something put together before the next decade! ;)
But I'll figure it out!!
AuraTodd
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:40:23 PM

I have a notepad next to my bed, also listen to music when I am typing.
ChelsieShakespeare
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:13:40 PM

K, I have a really strange trick that works for me. It's about engaging both sides of the brain. Sit down in a quiet place with a pen and a piece of paper. Write a question to yourself with your RIGHT hand. Then answer the question with your LEFT hand, and so on... First of all, you will be surprised by what you have to say to yourself (which could give you a cool story idea). Even if you don't literally use something you came up with during the exercise, when you return to writing your story the thoughts will flow so fast your fingers will barely be able to keep up.

"Here we are inside a novel, waiting for an end. But we don't know the authors of the book. Maybe someone's writing chapters for us while we sleep, from a million miles away..."

-Guster

www.chelsieshakespeare.com

"Here we are inside a novel, waiting for an end. But we don't know the authors of the book. Maybe someone's writing chapters for us while we sleep, from a million miles away..."

-Guster

www.chelsieshakespeare.com
tjwell01
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:18:54 AM

I keep telling people to write while you'e recovering form a hangover. You're mind clears out like someone let the wind in, for some bizarre inane reason.
maxwelldaring
#12 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 12:41:29 AM

Not a day goes by when I think in dread of writer's block, and it had plagued me since I could write. I noticed a lot of people listen to music to break up writer's block. I myself listen to Pandora while I write, and it works really well. When I don't know where to go, I just go over what I wrote, close my eyes, put my head down, and listen to the music. It works like a charm. I also use a good ad blocker or two when on Pandora so that my train of thought isn't interrupted by an advertisement. It also helps you visualize a scene when it's set to music.
Gennipher_Ella_Patterson
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:00:46 PM

Just remember to R.E.L.A.X.

R ead what you already have
E xamine what you've already written down as a Writer
L ook from another's Point of View
A nalyze how and why the character reacts that way
X ercise your writing talent with little 1o minute writing exercises
rayers
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:04:36 AM

I've been writing for over thirty years. I've found that the only way to get over writer's block is to sit down to your typewriter (Typewriter--can you tell how old I am?) and begin to write. Bad writing is better than no writing. You can always correct, edit the bad writing. If you write nothing, there's nothing to correct. WORD!