Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

What's New In Horror Writing Options
GunnarALawrence
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:12:57 PM

These days browsing the teen section of a book store is like looking at a vampire only section of the store. Thanks Stephanie Meyer. Seriously, what is new in horror? Vampires, mummies, zombies, ghostly visitors?

What makes horror, horror? Are you more frightened about reading of the very unsupernatural maniacal killers or does it take a little magic to make it complete? Will there ever be anything new in horror? If so, what?
redraven
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2010 2:26:45 PM

Well to me it seems that when we were all teens we each discovered the classic creatures in our own way, In other words to us older adults vampires and zombies and such may be tired and old but to a seventeen year old who is really only now discovering them it can be quite exciting for them.
Theres nothing really wrong with that. so its not really suprising that Stephanie Meyer has had the success she has her timing for a new twist on a very old story was right on. and in the end as you know its the characters that count and she seems to do that part very well. that being said i myself am not a Meyer fan really but i am willing to giver her her dues. I do prefer supernatural over slasher stuff but any story with great characters will intrest me, silence of the lambs for instance wouldnt normally not intrest me in the slightest but those characters were so captivating. so to your final question i can only say that i believe there will not be anything new except the plot twists and the characters other then that its all been done before.
Jenwales
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:57:53 PM

When I was in my teens I loved vampires- always have done so all this vampire stuff is old news to me. I loved point horror books.
If you want decent horror read James Herbert.
Twilight is not horror but paranormal romance and it is extermely disapoinitng that the only vampire books are romanctic. Including the adult books. A lot of vampire hunters and paranormal/crime crossover books. Hardly any horror.
The Passage is about vampires, I havnt read that far into it yet but it's a adult horror.
Horror to me is anything scary. Zombies and mummies are a bit immature for me but I prefer creatures to murderers. Ghosts are overdown. It's more the atmospher of the story and the way it's dealt with that makes it scary. For me anyway.